BUY THE CLOTHES FROM MY CLOSET ON ASOS

Posted by Fashion Editor at Large

I think ASOS is really clever. I love that the business is this ever-expanding ever-innovating machine that grows its profits at an unstoppable rate, but in a good way. The gang there - headed up by Caren Downie - are wonderfully talented, passionate and smart-thinking people who really care about what they do. A walk around their press day last November was a masterclass in how a mass-appeal online fashion business should conduct itself. The fashion was spot on in its reaction to the catwalks but also walked its own path. Their own-brand accessories were often incredible - the shoe collection and leather bag collaboration with young designer Thomas Tait made me gasp - the quality to price ratio is awesome. I particularly admire their ethical range ASOS Africa which is created used Kenyan printed fabric and made up by a local craftspeople in the town of Ukunda. The first season of creating the ASOS AFRICA collection helped lift over 240 people out of poverty.

Asos.com Spring/Summer shoes

I mentioned that ASOS is an ever-innovating machine, and this is what makes them most interesting to me. They have fully embraced and understood the evolution of social media and how it has dovetailed with the seeding of fashion globally through street and personal style blogs, Twitter, Facebook and good old insider fashion blogs like Fashion Editor at Large.


Its response was Marketplace which launched at the tail end of 2010. Marketplace is like FaceHunter or Jak&Jil meets online retail of the eBay variety - yes you REALLY CAN BUY THE ACTUAL clothes you can see on the stylistas in the street! Yaysers! "Since the start of 2011, Marketplace has had one million hits," reports my buddy Annette Burke, ASOS's head of PR. I asked if she was joking - but with ASOS vistor numbers really are in the millions. Currently there are 5000 items for sale in the Marketplace area from everyday stylish folk or more established sellers such as Susan Caplan the vintage jewellery collector.

I was beyond delighted that ASOS asked me to take part in their London Fashion Week Marketplace Collective. I'm not very adept at promoting my blog effectively in the online world, so hopefully new people will stumble across Fashion Editor at Large in the process.

So here are the treasured fashion items of mine that deserve a new home, modelled by me, and photographed by the Fashion Junior at Large over at my house - a truly DIY shoot! I think you'll agree Ms Langford did an excellent job. Oh, and I was adopting "traditional style-blogger poses" here with my tongue firmly in cheek, and enjoying every minute.

YOU CAN BUY THESE AT ASOS FROM TODAY!

 J Brand skinny jeans – gifted from J Brand after I met the founders of the company a few years ago. They told me our stories in Grazia helped make their jeans successful in the UK. Vintage printed blouse is floral on black with a wheatsheaf motif - very Rodarte A/W2011. The Richard Nicoll/Jonathan Kelsey shoes are not for sale!
J Brand "Gigi" jeans waist 28 £40 (new £175) Vintage blouse £25.
 
Putty coloured waist-cinch dress by ACNE. I bought this at an ACNE sample sale.
Dress: £50 (bought at sample sale - cost new is £158)

Christian Louboutin platform sling-backs, size 40, (but better fit for a 39.5) bought at sample sale in 2008 to wear to a black-tie event. I wore them for the event, and from that day forward they have been gathering dust. They are truly beautiful and need a good home. Louboutin platform sling-backs, size 40. Slightly worn on the sole, but otherwise in perfect condition: £100

Grey cashmere tube dress by Crumpet. This was a press gift, and is still brand new with all the labels on. I love this dress. I’m selling it because, much as I wish I did, I just don’t feel comfortable in a body-hugging tube of cashmere that shows every lump and bump! If I was 25 with a hard-toned body I would flaunt it around town like a total diva bitch.
Grey cashmere "Kate maxi dress" by Crumpet. with tags on £65 (new for A/W10 £175)


Tomas Maier (the designer of Bottega Veneta) dress – bought from Brix Smith-Start at her Start boutique on Rivington Street in Shoreditch in 2006. It’s a special dress because Brix and I started chatting that day and became friends soon after. We have been friends ever since! We (that’s me and my other half Mary Portas) haven’t worn it for a couple of years, hence it’s got to go to a more loving home. It’s in perfect condition!
Tomas Maier (the designer of Bottega Veneta) dress £75 (bought for £450)


Photos: Fashion Junior at Large


FURTHER INFO:
The Marketplace Collective is a temporary designer boutique which will exist within the newly launched ASOS Marketplace trading site during London Fashion Week.  The ‘Collective’ refers to a short list of London’s most stylish fashion editors and influencers, who will be parting ways with a small selection of their much-loved wares by selling them online at marketplace.asos.com, with a percentage of profits going to charity through the ASOS Foundation. Shoppers have the chance to buy into the personal wardrobe of Melanie Rickey (Grazia’s fashion editor-at-large), Yasmin Sewell (fashion consultant), Vanessa Coyle (senior fashion editor, Harpers Bazaar), Susie Lau (Style Bubble), Gillian Wilkins (contributing fashion editor, VOGUE) and Steve Salter (Style Salvage - menswear).
All garments being sold have been photographed on their seller ‘street style’ to illustrate how they personally style the garment and will also come with a brief explanation describing when, where and why they bought the garment and also why they have decided to part ways. Launching on the 18th February and running throughout to include the menswear day on the 23rd, ASOS Marketplace Collective gives offers the chance to buy some truly unique and hard to find pieces from London’s most stylish set, including items from Balenciaga, Chanel, Margiela, Louboutin, Preen, Acne, amongst others.