MY TOP 10 LOOKS FROM NEW YORK FASHION WEEK

Posted by Fashion editor at Large

Its the return of our photo-shopped big-heads! Doing this is so much fun. Its amusing to see your own head on top of a models body in order to do a bit of "trying-on". To be honest New York Fashion Week never blows my mind. To my eye there are relatively few actual NY shows that have relevance in the European market; Marc Jacobs, DVF, Proenza Schouler, Jason Wu and Rodarte are the exceptions. Whereas non-catwalk labels like J Brand, Helmut Lang, Theory (though Theyskens by Theory does have a runway show) really make an impact over here. It took a while to wheedle out these 10 looks from the crowds of images, but I like them a lot, and am dreaming of these looks for my Autumn/Winter 2011 wardrobe.  Thought I'd better get these posted before London Fashion Week coverage takes over the blog, which it will in about an hours time with the Fashion Junior's report on Orla Kiely's fabulous installation over at Somerset House....

 This Marc by Marc Jacobs fake fur coat manages to look cool and street, and can be worn with boyish footwear. This therefore makes it a shoo-in for my winter coat.

Marc Jacobs focused mainly on a pencil skirt silhouette, which I liked and it will be very commercial. However, I loved these button up sailor pants, they are so flattering and god knows its hard to find the perfect trousers, I'm still looking for my SS11 perfect pant.

The Ohne Titel girls trained with Helmut Lang, not the label - the man himself (one of my all time favourite designers and a lovely guy) and their work has shades of his urban elegance attitude along with excellent knitwear skills. I've noticed a trend for jackets to have arms of a different fabric to the body of the jacket. In many instances in NY the jacket has what I'm calling "Gorilla arms". As does this one, and I'm fairly sure the curly hair is sheep, not mink, fox or rabbit.

Proenza Schouler - just LOVE

Rodarte's take on Mid-Western prairie style was nostalgic and in some instances - like this one - truly beautiful and uplifting. This party dress is sensational.
I really liked Jason Wu's American West inspired collection, this jacket/dress and shirt combo would be my perfect Milan fashion week look. It being sexy and a bit fierce all at once

Daryl K has that urban elegance thing down; this is pretty much how I dress most days

Jason Wu - in my dreams I turn up to the events looking like this

Diane von Furstenburg's new designer Yvan Mispelaere is doing a good job. This Seventies inspired ensemble is very of the moment. This outfit would be perfect for a high powered fashion meeting

At times Alexander Wang's show and collection looked too busy and complex, but this - one of the final exits - was elegant, modern, simple and can walk straight off the runway and into my life.