Etsy VFGteam Featured Seller

Welcome to our new VFG Blog series featuring members of the VFGteam at Etsy!

You will be introduced to a different Team member in each new post. Please check out our Team Gallery page here.
 
Today's featured seller is Susan and you can visit her shop NorthStarVintage here.


1. When did you first get interested in vintage fashion & why?

My parents were/are antique dealers so I spent a lot of time at flea markets, auctions, and antique stores. I think I'm just genetically inclined to love the thrill of hunting for interesting old things. My passion for vintage clothing ignited when I was 10 years old and went to a $1/bag rummage sale with my mom. We found a bunch of amazing 40s and 50s vintage dresses and I played dress-up in them for years. (I cringe now, to think about how I destroyed those dresses!)

I started buying vintage for "real life" in the 80s when I was in high school. I remember, very vividly, how adventurous it felt to drive into Portland (Maine) from my rural town, to go to the only vintage clothing store in the area. The shop was on the second floor of an old building, and climbing up those creaky stairs, with the dusty smelling radiators, always thrilled me. At that point I was getting into punk and new wave music, and wearing vintage clothing gave me a way to express myself in a way that clothing from the mall could not.

I was lucky enough to marry a guy who shared my love for all things vintage, and we often ended up buying vintage clothing that we came across, just because we couldn't bear to leave them behind. We discovered eBay in its early years, around 1999, and finally we had an excuse to buy even more. Now, 13 years later, I am making my living by selling vintage clothing online.


2. Do you regularly wear vintage?

No, not often. Because I work from home I don't want to put wear and tear on pieces when no one, except my cats and my husband, will see them. I do have a few beloved pieces. My favorite is my vintage 60s Brooks cafe racer jacket with stars on the cuffs (I'm wearing it in the photo above). For special occasions I have a beaded black cardigan, a pair of 80s Manolo Blahniks, some winter coats, and a couple of great 40s crepe dresses. I also wear vintage accessories and jewelry fairly often.


3. Do you have a Holy Grail?

A vintage Nudie suit. I'd also love to find more pre-50s menswear, especially motorcycle jackets, athletic clothing, work wear, and L.L. Bean outdoors wear.


4. If you could visit the atelier of any fashion designer (dead or alive), who would it be?

Claire McCardell.


5. What do you see as the future of vintage?

Our current culture of inexpensive, throwaway clothing is a little worrisome. But I think it's balanced by increased awareness and acceptance of vintage. I enjoy seeing how women in their teens and 20s are so enthusiastic about incorporating vintage into their wardrobe and sharing their ideas and style with others.


6. What is your favorite item in your shop?

This Vintage 60s Psychedelic Halter Maxii Dress
Here are a few more items from Susan's shop:

Vintage 80s ZODIAC Red Leather Over the Knee Stacked Heel Scrunch Thigh High Boots 8.5

 
Vintage 60s RUDI GERNREICH Square Silk Scarf Moon Phases Brown Blue Pink